The 23rd Psalm of David is one of the most poignant and powerful Psalm that David ever wrote. It reveals the very heart of God and how he cares for his sheep.
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
1. He cares by giving them the refreshing and the restoration of their souls. (v.2-3). In a fast paced, driven and task-oriented world we are all living in, many are weary, exhausted. Rest and refreshment of in inner being is vital and the Shepherd makes us “lie down in green pastures and leads us beside quiet waters.” It is in stillness that we find refreshment.
2. He cares by keeping us on the right path. With the rapid erosion of morals and Godly principles all around us, many have gone astray along unrighteous paths. The shepherd knows how to direct us.
3. He cares by shielding us from fear and anxiety. He does this by helping us sense his presence – his rod and his staff that comforts us. Through the darkest valley He stays by our side. (v4)
4. He cares by assuring us of His love and goodness whilst we are facing our greatest battles. (v.5-6). Celebration of joy and victory in the very presence of our enemies.
5. He cares by showering us with his grace and love as we journey through life, with all its ups and downs. (v6)
His grace and mercy follows us even when at times we fail and falter in our walk.
The way to benefit from all His amazing care, we must learn to trust Him as our personal Shepherd – the Lord is MY shepherd. Listen to His gentle yet firm voice that leads and directs us. Cultivate a closeness with Him that nothing can shake. Never depart from “dwelling in the house of the Lord forever.” (v6).
Rev. Timothy Chow